Friday, October 19, 2007

Movies

"If someone prays for patience, you think God gives them patience? Or does He give them the opportunity to be patient? If he prayed for courage, does God give him courage, or does He give him opportunities to be courageous? If someone prayed for the family to be closer, do you think God zaps them with warm fuzzy feelings, or does He give them opportunities to love each other?"
-Morgan Freeman as God in 'Evan Almighty'

Ok, as what you might have guessed. I just finished watching Evan Almighty today. But for this post, I'm not going to write much about the movie. Well, not because its a boring movie or anything but I've got a bigger point to talk about here. So you see, I've been watching quite alot movies and TV series lately and actually learned quite alot of new stuffs, from general knowledge to ... facts of life, seriously. First it was 'An Inconvenient Truth' where I'd learned so much about Global Warming and its consequences as stated in my last post. And today, I actually learned something about God from 'Evan Almighty'! I know its a comedy but hey, I really did learn something meaningful from the movie.

As you can see from the quote I picked out above, its really something simple, yet a beautiful phrase. Whenever we humans pray for something, do we really expect it to drop straight from heaven and land right infront of us? I don't know about you but I've got to confess that sometimes, I do. And if that wish doesn't come true, you know who I would be blaming, eh? Yes, nobody but God. I can't believe how naive I am those days. That phrase really gave me a wake up call, period. I realise now that when we pray for something, God creates opportunities for us to reach for that something. God makes us sweat for it so that we can appreciate the sweetness of the fruit of our hardwork. Instead of turning us into greedy lazy bums that just wait for miracles to happen. Besides, the process rather than the product is what that counts, right?

Another example, when people pray to be rich, why do people dream of striking the lottery only? Its like searching a needle in the open sea ( well, I cant say haystack 'cos Adam and Jamie from Mythbusters already proven that possible, darn it )! Don't they realise that there are other ways of earning big bucks such as, I don't know...work hard maybe? Oh well, maybe they were really hoping for a miracle. What's life without hope, eh? Or is it...?

Anyway, I just wanna say sorry to God for putting all those blames on Him all this time. And I promise that I would not let any opportunities slip away again.

Before I end this, I just want to say ... Steve Carell rocks! He's a really awesome actor and comedian! His dances are so addictive! I just can't get enough of this guy! Ciaoz~

p.s.Something out of topic but somehow related. David Copperfield is coming to Malaysia and he said that he would be turning some locals into lottery strikers because he heard that lottery is really popular here. Just something I read from the newspaper. So, if you're really hoping to strike it big time, go watch his performance and try your luck! Who knows?

Choppy,
-Enlightened-

No comments: