Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Sarcasm

" Oh, you're so clever-lah, unlike me so stupid...."

Ok, I believe everyone had come across this cliché before or other similar rendition. Some of us may be the ones who commonly use it while some of us are the ones that often receive this 'compliment'. But is it even a compliment in the first place?

In my opinion, teenagers nowadays are committing a rather major faux pas, which is downgrading themselves to compliment others. One of the example is the common cliché mentioned above. Don't you think that by downgrading oneself just to compliment others sounds a lil .... i dunno, sarcastic? Lets analyse the mistakes when making such 'compliment',

Define clever and stupid please. Is it by being able to answer a complicating maths question, that makes someone clever? Or at least tell me what is your standard for clever and stupid. If you're that stupid, i guess your standard for being clever isn't that high either. So, should I still take it as a compliment?

Therefore, I think that a simple "Wow, you're so clever" would be good enough to praise someone, thank you. There's no need to add the next line and downgrade yourself to raise others. Everyone should be proud of themselves right? I know some of you want to burn yourself to light others but I don't think this is the right way.

I hope no offence is taken by anyone because i wrote this post just to share my 2 cents with everybody and also act as a reminder to myself. Still, I do not encourage anyone to commit this mistake but instead, live your life with pride,ok ?

Choppy,

- Ponder -
- Glad -

No comments: